I’d like to introduce a new series here on the site: Prepping for Court. The purpose is to introduce people to the articles and books that I think are solid, reliable publications that can help inform testimony. Of course I’ll start with adult sexual assault, since it’s still the most popular topic at FHO. For this first one I have broken it into different sections, because different cases will have different issues. But all of the resources listed here are ones that I think are quality, and since we don’t have the time (or will) to read everything that’s ever been published on a given subject, this should give clinicians (and attorneys) a good foundation. Disagree with any of these or think I’ve missed some? Let me know and we’ll address it.
- Acad Emerg Med. 2008 Mar;15(3):231-8.
- Validation set correlates of anogenital injury after sexual assault.
- Drocton P, Sachs C, Chu L, Wheeler M.
- Markowitz, J. and Pierce-Weeks, J (2012). Consensual Sex Injury. In T. Henry’s Atlas of Sexual Violence. Elsevier, St. Louis, MO.
- Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Jan;190(1):71-6.
- Physical injury after sexual assault: findings of a large case series.
- Sugar NF, Fine DN, Eckert LO.
- Am J Emerg Med. 2008 Oct;26(8):857-66. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2007.11.025.
- Forensic sexual assault examination and genital injury: is skin color a source of health disparity? (FREE FULL-TEXT)
- Sommers MS, Zink TM, Fargo JD, Baker RB, Buschur C, Shambley-Ebron DZ, Fisher BS.
- J Emerg Nurs. 2012 Nov;38(6):518-22. doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2010.10.014.
- Female genital injury following consensual and nonconsensual sex: state of the science.
- Anderson JC, Sheridan DJ.
- J Forensic Leg Med. 2010 Apr;17(3):140-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jflm.2009.11.001.
- Characteristics of sexual assaults in which adult victims report penetration by a foreign object.
- Sturgiss EA, Tyson A, Parekh V.
Alcohol and Intoxication
- Alcohol Res Health. 2003;27(2):186-96.
- What happened? Alcohol, memory blackouts, and the brain. (FREE FULL-TEXT)
- White AM.
- National Institute of Justice (2008).
- Final Report: Alaska Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Study (FREE FULL-TEXT)
- Rosay, A. & Henry, T.
General Health Implications of Sexual Violence
- Women Health. 2012;52(2):101-18.
- Health and sexual outcomes of women who have experienced forced or coercive sex.
- Jozkowski KN, Sanders SA.
- JAMA. 2009 Aug 5;302(5):550-61.
- Sexual abuse and lifetime diagnosis of somatic disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Paras ML, Murad MH, Chen LP, Goranson EN, Sattler AL, Colbenson KM, Elamin MB, Seime RJ, Prokop LJ, Zirakzadeh A.
- J Emerg Med. 2010 Jul;39(1):113-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2008.08.024.
- Comparison of methods for identifying ano-genital injury after consensual intercourse.
- Zink T, Fargo JD, Baker RB, Buschur C, Fisher BS, Sommers MS.
- J Forensic Nurs. 2012 Mar;8(1):39-44. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-3938.2011.01128.x. Epub 2012 Jan 6.
- Alternate light sources in sexual assault examinations: an evidence-based practice project.
- Eldredge K, Huggins E, Pugh LC.
- Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2013 Sep;34(3):286-94. doi: 10.1097/PAF.0b013e31829a0f46.
- Factors that influence the variability in findings of anogenital injury in adolescent/adult sexual assault victims: a review of the forensic literature.
- Laitinen FA, Grundmann O, Ernst EJ.
- J Forensic Nurs. 2011 Dec;7(4):190-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-3938.2011.01117.x.
- Reliability of female genital injury detection after sexual assault.
- Sachs CJ, Benson A, Schriger DL, Wheeler M.
Male Sexual Assault Patients
- J Interpers Violence. 2012 Feb;27(3):523-46. doi: 10.1177/0886260511421674.
- Epidemiological characteristics of male sexual assault in a criminological database.
- Choudhary E, Gunzler D, Tu X, Bossarte RM.
- Am J Mens Health. 2008 Sep;2(3):254-9.
- Gender and time differences in the associations between sexual violence victimization, health outcomes, and risk behaviors.
- Choudhary E, Coben JH, Bossarte RM.
General Sexual Violence
- The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (2010). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Henry, T. (2012). Atlas of Sexual Violence. Elsevier, St. Louis, MO.