PreventConnect has an excellent webinar coming up, in part because the presenter lineup is stellar–Prevention Beyond the Binary: From Inclusive Language to Inclusive Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence Prevention for LGBTQ+ Communities. The session will be held December 17th from 2-3:30pm ET. Their stuff tends to fill, but it will be archived so if you can’t attend live, check back because it should be available after the fact. And PLEASE don’t let the “prevention” part of that title deter you, clinicians–1.) prevention applies to your practices; and 2.) even if you don’t believe me, there are lessons to be learned here that will apply to your practices in terms of inclusive language. From the website:
Sexual and intimate partner violence prevention practitioners have the opportunity to advance prevention strategies that will reduce violence against LGBTQ+ communities in ways that are community-centered, inclusive, expansive, and promote healthy, safe communities. Join PreventConnect, the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, and experts from the field to discuss ways to challenge homophobia and transphobia in evidence-based programming, how to build an expansive framework for prevention beyond prescribed interventions, and ways mainstream organizations can build allyship and inclusiveness starting today.
- Describe inclusive practices that promote LGBTQ+ acceptance and safety
- Identify strategies that prevent violence against LGBTQ+ people and communities
- Engage in a discussion about the strengths and opportunities within the field of sexual and intimate partner violence prevention to advance primary prevention by and for LGBTQ+ communities
- Arlene Vassell, Vice President of Programs, Prevention & Social Change, National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
- Casey Keene, Director of Programs & Prevention, National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
- Mauro Sifuentes, Independent Consultant and Trainer
- michael munson, Executive Director, FORGE
- Fatima Arain, Field Coordinator, National LGBTQ Institute on IPV
Have you checked out the FHO store lately? You can find the newest research brief, Applying The Strangulation Research To Expert Testimony In Cases With Adult Victims. Or purchase the complete set of three (Strangulation, Aging Bruises, and Consensual Sex Injury) for a special price.